Sunday 20 October 2013

Apam Balik...and the time Livvy came over for breakfast.


Hello Livvy my love! :p
So I had this lovely lady over for breakfast yesterday morning. It's soo nice that she lives 5 minutes away...everyone else is either near Morrisons or in town. Livvy's my only friend who's at a sensible (:p) distance away from me...well, besides my friends who live in DRA as well.

Anyways, I've been craving apam balik this whole week. So I asked her to come over on that rainy Saturday morning to share a somewhat Malaysian breakfast. We had apam balik and teh tarik. :)


A short post on this, cause I wasn;t very happy with the texture of the apam balik. It didn't have the chewy, spongy bite of the ones I get back home. This was very cakey and a little dry. No matter though, it was a decent first attempt. And it looked like the real thing!


Recipe for the batter from 'Sea Salt with Food'
I added 1 tsp of vanilla essence to the batter, and added a bit more water to make it more pourable, but that's it. :)

Batter
200 g All Purpose Flour
100 g Rice Flour
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Double Action Baking Powder
2 Eggs, light beaten
100 g Sugar
200 ml Water

Filling
equal parts of dry roasted peanuts and white sugar. I used about 250g of each.
Method

In a bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, rice flour, sea salt, double action baking powder, eggs, sugar and water. Wrap the bowl in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.

Lightly oil a small non-stick pan or a crepe pan (about 5 - 6 inches diameter) over a moderate heat. When the pan is hot, add about 3-4 Tbsp batter, evenly coating the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, as the batter sets and forms small bubbles, loosen the edges with a palette knife.

 Generously sprinkle the peanut filling over the pancake, and add a few dots of butter. Lift the pancake from the pan, fold into half and serve immediately



That's it for now! Good luck guys. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment