Thursday 14 November 2013

Pancakes with a Mixed berry Compote...and the time I fed my academic-daughter-to-be.

No no no...not like that you guys!


Meet Prishaa ( hello sayang!!) My almost-academic daughter. I tentatively adopted her last year, in preperation for when I would hit 3rd year. Unfortunately she had to transfer to Royal Holloway and I lost my only child. :'( It's ok though. She'll come visit again during Raisin and I'll sneak her into the foam fight. :)

She came by for a visit last week and I had her over for breakfast to see how she was doing. Now, as her mama OF COURSE I had to make her a proper breakfast. So I woke up craving pancakes that morning and set about making them only to find that I was missing a few key ingredients.
What to do, what to do?

It's times like these you really curse DRA for not having a sundry shop nearby. Nevermind that they'd probably jack up the prices sky-high, that set-up would probably be a lot more conducive for Saturday morning breakfast moods. Unless of course you're one of those ultra-organized people who plan out their Morrison shops to allow for impulse cooking-sprees. I am NOT one of those people. At all. Hence coming back to my problem.

No milk, no buttermilk, nothing to put on the pancakes once they came off the pan. What else was a girl to do? I blearily wandered down to the DRA bistro and purchased a 'basic breakfast' (or some such drivel) and purchased a HIGHLY OVERPRICED  half cup of yogurt, frozen mixed fruit and coffee for 3 pounds.



It was all worth it though, for these pancakes. Some flour on my counter and a stolen clementine later (Thank you Elisa!! <3) Prishaa and I were sitting down to a lovely mother-daughter breakfast of 
Pancakes with a Mixed Berry and Clementine Compote.


Pancake recipe adapted and halved from Spicy Southern Kitchen

Pancakes ( makes 6, medium sized)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 of a beaten egg
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup yogurt +1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract


- vegetable oil, for cooking pancakes

+ Mix all ingredients together (except vegetable oil) and leave aside for 20 minutes.
+ Get your non-stick pan really hot. To see if it's ready, splash some water droplets on the pan. If they 'dance' (you'll see what I mean), then you're good to go.
+ Wipe the pan with some vegetable oil, spreading it around with a kitchen towel, the ladle out 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan.
+ Cook until the top looks bumpy and is covered with bubbles.
+ Flip the pancake and cook on the other side for a few minutes till nice and brown.
+ Serve up with toppings of choice. Maple syrup's nice if you want to be traditional, although nutella sounds like a decadent option as well. Of course, you could always make the SUPER EASY fruit compote below...



Mixed Fruit and Clementine Compote
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 stolen (it won't taste the same if you get it through moral means) clementine
- 2 Tbsp sugar (adjust according to how sweet the berries are)
- 2 Tbsp water
- A drizzle of STOLEN honey

+ Put the berries in a pan and to it add the zest and juice of your stolen clementine. Combine with the sugar, water, and STOLEN honey.
+ Heat up the mixture till the sugar dissolves. Continue to keep on the hob and reduce till the syrup is nice and thick.
+ Spoon generously over still warm pancakes.

Happy breakfasting guys!!


No comments:

Post a Comment