Thursday 5 December 2013

Coconut 'Whipped Cream'...and the time I had hot chocolate weather.



The first snow of the semester came down on our little town about an hour ago. This picture was taken after it stopped, but before that we had big flakes of snow flying all over the place. It was almost like we were in a snow globe.  That's right. We've had our first episode of what I'd like to call Hot chocolate weather. 

Now I like my hot chocolate super dark with whipped cream on top. In Edinburgh I picked up this beauty:


And it is my favourite hot chocolate mix ever. Smooth, dark, and very very rich.

But what about the whipped cream? I didn't have any in the fridge.. So as usual I had to improvise with the stuff that I did have. The 'cream' I came up with isn't quite as thick or fluffy but it produces a nice smooth layer on your hot chocolate that smells faintly of coconut. Dairy free! For our lactose intolerant friends. :) 
It kinda feels like you're drinking a smooth, lighter version of a bounty bar. 
And if you can't find powdered coconut milk, maybe the top layer that forms in the can will work too... I don't know. If anyone does try that, let me know in the comments! :)





Coconut 'Whipped Cream'
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1/2 tsp icing sugar
- 2 tsp hot water


+ Mix everything in a microwaveable cup till smooth then microwave for 10 seconds on high. 
+ Stir again then pour over hot chocolate. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment